Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Recent DDoS

From: vanja () RELAYGROUP COM (Vanja Hrustic)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 05:38:50 +0700

Bino Gopal wrote:

Just wondering why there hasn't been much mention of the recent DDoS'
against a lot of the major sites on the web...  Given the nature of the
list, I would have expected _some_ mention, but I don't think I've seen a
peep, which is very surprising!

I think (and hope) that people don't want to write about it before they
actually know what this is all about. Not enough information has been
provided in order to identify "what the hell is going on?" (except the
fact that hosts are unreachable :), and it's better to be quiet, than to
write useless stories that say absolutelly nothing (I've seen few of
those on some other security related mailing lists).

There are many different stories already (stream.c, smurf, SYN floods,
DDOS, "single person sitting in front of his computer and doing all of
this", aliens, etc.) - there is no point in inventing more of them. I
don't know about others, but I'm tired of "maybe" stories...

--

Vanja Hrustic
The Relay Group