Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Recent DDoS

From: mms () SPEAKEASY ORG (MMS26)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 13:39:54 -0800

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Bino Gopal wrote:

Just wondering why there hasn't been much mention of the recent DDoS'
against a lot of the major sites on the web...  Given the nature of the
list, I would have expected _some_ mention, but I don't think I've seen a
peep, which is very surprising!

If you don't know what I'm talking about, then read:

        http://news.cnet/com/news/0-1005-200-1545456.html

almost all the press reports regarding the scope and effect of the attacks have
been completely wrong. it looks like the usual problem of reporters quoting
other reporters as sources and using rumor as fact. the articles that have been
particularly wrong are those by the usually clue challenged folks at cnet,
reuters, and ap. for example, the heresay about DateK was orignially
misrepresented as a dDoS.

as it was with the worm, there is going to be alot of misinformation until NSPs
start the communication process.

MMS26