Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: FW: Postmaster notify: User unknown

From: Nexus <nexus () PATROL I-WAY CO UK>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 08:42:11 -0000

Hi folks,
    Could be a brute force attempt to enumerate valid usernames, or maybe
somethings silly like that - do you have the full, original SMTP header at
all ?
ie they may have been playing with the reply to: field and the like.
That would be very useful in trying to establish what has occured.
It is odd that you rec'd a bounced mail from a hotmail address

Regards,
            JJ