Security Incidents mailing list archives

CERT policy is not to distribute exploits Re: More info regarding: std.pl, the rpc.statd linux mass rooter

From: marc <marc () ZOUNDS NET>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 14:43:31 -0600

I sent my last post too soon, CERT's faq says they do not distribute
exploits:

 Q: Does this mean CERT/CC is going "full disclosure?"

 A: We will not distribute exploits, if that's what "full
disclosure" means. In our experience, the number of people who can benefit
from the availability of exploits is small compared to the
 number of people who get harmed by people who use exploits
maliciously. We will, however, disclose information about vulnerabilities
that we might not have previously disclosed. Within the
 limits of our resources, we will publish information about as many
vulnerabilities as we can.

marc

 On 16 Dec 2000,