Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Annoy Those Sub7 Scanners.

From: Computer Vegetable <CompuVeg () COLUMBUS RR COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 08:22:33 -0400

I've noticed something in my firewall logs 99% of the time when I get an
obviously spoofed scan.  (i.e., connection request from 10.x.x.x or
192.168.x.x, or the other range of non-internettable addresses)  I almost
always get a second scan attempt within milliseconds of the first connection
request.

I've assumed that this is someone spoofing their IP address in a very sloppy
manner.  Or perhaps the ISP sees the spoofer and sends identifying packets
alongside the spoofed packets.

Are either of these theories right?

Thanks--

- David Sentelle