Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: DOS From "inktomi.com"?

From: "PARKIN, MICHAEL M (PBI)" <mparkin () PBI NET>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 18:55:03 -0500

I've seen repeated connections from inktomi's web crawler bots, but never at
a level that affected performance.  As I remember, the inktomi bots do
respect the robots.txt protocol and will go away if your system tells them
to.

What do your logs show?  It almost sounds like the web crawler was trying to
follow a link to once of your scripts and blowing chunks on some of the
parameters.  Do your logs show any evidence of someone spoofing inktomi's IP
space?  That would conceal a DoS attack.

Mike Parkin
Network Reliability Center
SBC Internet Services
415.442.5108