Security Incidents mailing list archives

DOS From "inktomi.com"?

From: "Vonelm, William J" <billve () BNL GOV>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 17:08:02 -0400

Hello all,
  We've just had one of our web servers pummeled into the ground by repeated
cgi requests from what appears to be a web-crawler from "inktomi.com".  Has
anybody else experienced this?  Is it some kind of malicious web Denial of
Service attack or just a poorly constructed web crawler?

Thanks!
--
Bill Von Elm:  Computer Analyst- Cyber Security Operations
e-mail: billve () bnl gov

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
                                               - Aldous Huxley