Security Incidents mailing list archives

A point of view from the other end of the spectrum...

From: boa () DIGITALSAMURAI ORG
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 09:13:24 -0000

I'm not an admin, I don't subscribe to this list, but it's
about 5:00AM EST and I thought I might share my views. I've
read a number of posts tonight and the vast majority seem
to be (D)DOS attacks and scans.  First off I would like to
say I can't even imagine how spread out and overworked some
of these admins are so please don't think I ignored this
factor. But honestly most of these scans seem to originate
from .kr which as you all know a large portion of the
systems are comprimised. This is something to remember, I
know sys admins. don't like being scanned but it's just
something you have to get over. 90% of the time it's
nothing but a kid trying to see if he can some lame exploit
on you.  You all know this so that is even more of a reason
to STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE PATCHES! I can't emphasize this
enough, YOU MUST stay up to date with the patches.  If you
don't stay up to date, complaining or asking advice here or
anyplace else is just silly. So please I beg you to stay up
to date, write a script to check common ftps for patches
that apply to a ruleset you specify or whatever. And on the
subject of (D)DOS attacks, if you're up to date on the
patches and you'll just have to suffer through them they
are a way of life. And honestly you all should be VERY VERY
glad the majority of people running the exploits out there
barely know how to use them otherwise you would all be in
BIG BIG trouble. Security is RISK MANAGEMENT and you've got
to realize that and the best thing you can do is stay up to
date on the patches and make sure you post to a list or
check some sites before making any major or semi-major
change to your network to tell if it's secure. And go back
read papers on different aspects of network security that
are relavent to you. There is always someone out there who
can comprimise your system just try and make sure that it's
as few as possible. I would love feedback if you wish to
leave me some. Honestly I'm sure most of you know this but
you don't act on this knowledge.  The scans and attacks as
scary as they may be are much less intimidating if you know
you have a "secure" network.

-BOA of FCS

P.S From a quick looksee on some of the hosts mentioned on
this list, you've guys got a lot of patching to do...