Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: DNS honeypots?

From: chr1x <chr1x () sectester net>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 20:49:14 -0600

This post looks pretty interesting!

Let's analyze your requirement:

1. Logging malicious queries
2. Reject/Deny any possible dns attack attempt

Well, from my point of view, going from the Honeypot concept which is
track hackers, probably the best way that you can follow is to setup an
IPS instead a Sensor. Personally, I don't see the purpose to have
"Reactive" honeypot if the objective of a honeypot is to be the most
open possible possible, talking about vulnerabilities on network/local
services ready to receive tons of attacks.

Anyway, the only way more closer to the thing that you are looking for
is to setup Snort in your DNS server, configure just the rules for DNS
attacks, and see if exist a way to drop the dns packets that comes from
the attacker side, but probably looking here could help:

http://snort-inline.sourceforge.net/

The difference between normal snort installation and snort-inline is
that this 2nd take actions to the packets that snort detects, in this
case, probably after you configure the DNS service, the DNS
rule-detection and the snort-inline config, you can have a very nice
"reactive" honeypot :D

Hope this helps Jason.

Best regards,

Christian