Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: DNS honeypots?

From: Tillmann Werner <tillmann.werner () gmx de>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 21:18:45 +0100

Jason,

Anyone have any pointers to dns honeypots or maybe just BIND
configurations that would allow logging of malicious queries without
actually executing them?

No need to run a server, you can simply sniff DNS traffic destined to
that box. If you don't want to send back an ICMP port unreachable
message, just block them using a packet filter.

I have some DNS sniffer code for exactly that purpose I can send to you
off-list if you are interested. tcpdump does the job, too, but mine
integrates DNS processing and logging (for IN/A record queries via UDP).

Tillmann