Honeypots mailing list archives

Announcing new KYE-Lite paper: Proxy Threats - Socks v666

From: "Ralph K. Logan Jr." <ralph.logan () thelogangroup biz>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:01:42 -0600

The Honeynet Project is excited to announce the release of our newest paper in our Know Your Enemy series, KYE-Lite: Proxy Threats - Socks v666.

This new "KYE-Lite" format is to focus on very specific topics and be more frequent in release in order to address emerging trends, threats and development work with Honeynet Technology and research.

In this paper we discuss: the basic operational concept of how reverse tunnel proxies work, a new customized control protocol in use, the advantages to the criminal community, a detailed example and it's similarities to legacy SOCKS protocols, and how this activity can be further identified including mitigation strategies.

http://www.honeynet.org/papers/proxy/

Ralph Logan
Chief Public Relations Officer - Honeynet Project
ralph.logan () honeynet org