Honeypots mailing list archives

Take My Wallet, Please

From: Lance Spitzner <lance () honeynet org>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:54:28 -0500

I found this to be very interesting. November's issue of Kiplinger's has a one page interview with a Mr. Bob Arno of Las Vegas. While his job has nothing to do with honeypots or information security, there are some neat similarities. He specializes in learning about picketpockets and then shares what he learns. I was intrigued HOW he learns about the threats.

How do you track down pickpockets?
-----------------------------------
I stuff my wallet with paper and keep
it in my pants pocket. Then I linger in
prime tourist spots in foreign cities.
Sooner or later, someone steals the wallet,
and I try to steal it back.

Really?
-------
Yeah. If I successfully steal the wallet
back -- and I often do -- the thief is
usually willing to share the latest techniques.

Even more is his commentary on why pickpockets are not as common in the US.

Why don't you study pickpockets in the U.S.?
Pickpockets are rare here because we train our
cops well, we use security cameras and the
consequences are too severe.

If this is truly the case (I'm know little about this field) what I find interesting about the solution is that it does not depend on prevention but enforcement. It comes down the fact that the risk is to great. The bad guys have a good chance of getting caught, and if they do get caught, they will feel some pain. In the world of information security, there is little chance of being caught or feeling any pain. Our focus is only on the technology, yet all the technology in the world will only slow the bad guys down. If there is no risk, if there is little chance of being identified and prosecuted, then technology really does not matter. They can simply keep trying to break in and sooner or later they will succeed. Not until the threats are concerned about the risk of prosecution will we start turning the wave.

You can find the article online for free here.

http://www.kiplinger.com/personalfinance/magazine/archives/ 2006/11/mystory.html

lance