Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Displaying SSH password attempts

From: Daniel Cid <danielcid () yahoo com br>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 10:37:46 -0300 (ART)

Hi Tom,

I did something similar in the past and to print out
the passwords I just grabbed the last openssh package
and modified the auth-passwd.c file (around line 80)
and added the following code(just after the beginning
of the auth_password function):

if(strlen(password) > 1))
error("user: %s, pass: %s", authctxt->user, password);

Some of the information I found about the passwords
are available here:

http://www.ossec.net/ossec-list/2006-March/msg00004.html

hope it helps,

--
Daniel B. Cid
dcid ( at ) ossec.net

--- Tom Doherty <tomd () singlesecond com> escreveu:

Hi Guys,
Is anyone aware of a patch that shows passwords
tried when a user is
trying to log into OpenSSH?
The reason I ask is I have had a honeypot online for
a week with various
accounts with what I would consider obvious
passwords, "password" for
example. After 7 bruteforce attempts access still
hasn't been gained.
I'd like to know the passwords attempted so I can
update the passwords
on the accounts, is there a patch available for
this?
Thanks
Tom

Abra sua conta no Yahoo! Mail: 1GB de espaço, alertas de e-mail no celular e anti-spam realmente eficaz.
http://mail.yahoo.com.br/