Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Displaying SSH password attempts

From: Jeff Lake <jlake () kcso org>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 09:14:02 -0400

On Wednesday 05 July 2006 06:27 am, Tom Doherty wrote:
Hi Guys,
Is anyone aware of a patch that shows passwords tried when a user is
trying to log into OpenSSH?
The reason I ask is I have had a honeypot online for a week with various
accounts with what I would consider obvious passwords, "password" for
example. After 7 bruteforce attempts access still hasn't been gained.
I'd like to know the passwords attempted so I can update the passwords
on the accounts, is there a patch available for this?
Thanks
Tom

Details on a patch that will do this are here:

http://www.notatla.org.uk/SOFTWARE/SSH_mods_2004-08-06.txt

Not sure about ssh versions, etc. it may need to be updated.
Hope this helps!
JL