Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Looking for Honeypots???

From: "Mohd Rosli Saidin" <MROSLIS () jkr gov my>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 12:14:24 +0800

I just insatll honeyd on a pc,
Question:
1.  how do i trace the hackers now
2. where is the best place that i have to put the pc that i have install honeyd, it is at dmz zone or after the
firewall?
3. Do i need tools to trace the pc that install honeyd dan install the tools at another pc (it is must be linux or
windows) or on the same pc that install honeyd. Is so what is the best tools to trace/monitor my honeyd?

Please comment, thank you all.

"Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com> 4/6/2006 10:09:11 AM >>>
I run 8 honeypots, and have for years.  I've not seen this. There maybe some specific targeted firms (i.e. av firms,
Microsoft, etc.) and some occasional honeypot identifications made by honeypot-aware hackers, but its far from
mainstream.

Criminal hackers are stealing millions of dollars every day...their current methods are working just fine. The idea
that they actually need an offensive strategy is almost laughable. Computer crime is on an incredible rise this
year...and it isn't because they are taking down honeypots.  Article fodder for a gullible reporter.  For heaven's
sake, the first article mentioned that some malware programs are actually disabling antivirus mechanisms as if it was
news.