Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Honeypot within ISP Policies?

From: Barrett Weisshaar <bweissha () andrew cmu edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:52:36 -0700

These are indeed very good guidelines.  I'd highly recommend obtaining
permission from your ISP if possible.  However, depending on your ISP
this might be pretty tricky.  For example, I ran a brief Comcast
honeynet to examine common threats to home broadband a while back.  I
admit that within the timeframe and the scope of the project, I didn't
bother to secure permission - I wasn't going to allow any attack to
persist for long once the box was compromised, and I figured that it was
far more controlled of an experiment than most clueless home users (at
least I was watching!).

If you're up to something more expansive (colocation, etc) I'd
definitely check.  I help tend to a few colo boxes and if you don't
resolve/work with them if they detect a compromise of your box, they
WILL pull the plug on your system until you do.  This is of course on
top of the legal issues that Mr. Kletnieks mentioned as well.

Good luck!

-Barrett