Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Oracle DB honeypot?

From: "Blarnum, Seamus" <crpyt0k1d () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 07:50:14 -0700 (PDT)

IMHO... you will need a good cover story for your DB.
Functionality and purpose is a good one. Content and
traffic generation to the DB is another...

If it's just sitting there with old data, hackers
won't stay around. if the public view of the DB is
juicy, then someone will come and take a peek at it.

--- Stuart Thomas <stuartpaulthomas () gmail com> wrote:

This was one of the problems I found with my 9i
OracleDB honeyDBnet
project in 2003, utilising a distinct (i.e. separate
from the corp owned
public ip's, but interesting enough to attract the
big fly's) but
interesting IP segment, as well as a populated site
interesting and
tempting enough to be attacked. Not an uncommon
problem I suspect! :-)

Ronald van der Westen wrote:
I dont think you want to watch whole day to a
network sniffer :)