Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Oracle DB honeypot?

From: Sushant Sinha <sushant () umich edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 08:58:35 -0400

You do not want to attract *anyone*. Rather you want to attract the hacker.
Since a client server model requires client to discover the service before
connecting, you can only advertize your service in such a way that only
hackers will access it. This is not easy and I do not know of a general way
until and unless services become first class objects on the Internet and
there is an infrastructure for service discovery.

For now I will say, place your honeypot/service close to the production
services.

-Sushant.