Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Honey email address?

From: Jeff Rosowski <rosowskij () ie ymp gov>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:53:03 -0800 (PST)

1.  create several email accounts

2.  use these accounts to post messages to many forums,
   news groups, blogs, etc.

3.  do a search for so-called "job sites" that are thinly
   veiled email harvesters and post resumes for the email
   accounts

4.  on a public facing website, put lots of documents so
   that robots can harvest the email addresses

5.  while surfing the most obviously unscrupulous sites
   you can find, click on all the popups and enter the
   honey email addresses

6.  make sure the honeypot is listening on smtp AND the
   messaging ports (1025-1030, I believe)

This will all work, though all I had to do was create one email address and post it as a mailto: link on one web site and it started gettting tons of spam, etc...