Honeypots mailing list archives

http://www.offensivecomputing.net

From: mvalsmith () gmail com
Date: 14 Dec 2005 04:13:39 -0000

Just wanted to let you guys know about a new malware site http://www.offensivecomputing.net

The purpose of this site is to foster collaborative analysis, cataloging and identification of malware in order to
improve defense and awareness.
This was something myself and other colleagues have seen the need for a long time but could never find anything because
most malware
collections are either closed lists or corporate non-public collections. This site is free and open to all.

The basic idea is to have a community site where you can search for malware based on name or md5sum and get zipped
copies.
People can upload their own samples of malware and  collaborate on analysis in a sort of a blog style. (think community
commented
disassembles, graphs, ida databases, etc.)

I know there are some problems with the concept such as using md5sums but its a start and has proven useful already.
I've got some malware collection stuff to help add to the database and I have a small collection built up over the years
that I am slowly adding as well.

I've started it off with some copies of common stuff like welchia, sobig, the sony drm rootkit, etc. and some minimal
analysis.

This is NOT another Vx'ers site and the purpose isn't to propagate worms or viruses but rather provide a medium for
people to
conduct collaborative defense research with full access to the tools and samples.

We're interested in any feedback, collaborations, and ideas from the community and have already gotten a ton of
response since launching last Friday.

have a good one,

V.