Honeypots mailing list archives

FakeNetBIOS tools released

From: "Patrick Chambet" <pchambet () club-internet fr>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 01:29:55 +0200

Hi,

I'm happy to announce the release of FakeNetBIOS, a family of tools
designed to simulate Windows hosts on a LAN (and more...).

The individual tools are:

  - FakeNetbiosDGM (NetBIOS Datagram)
  - FakeNetbiosNS (NetBIOS Name Service)

Each tool can be used as a standalone tool or as a honeyd responder or
subsystem.
The tools can also be used to play with Windows domains and hosts
announcements and to wreak havoc in a Windows LAN...

FakeNetbiosDGM sends NetBIOS Datagram service packets on port UDP 138 to
simulate Windows hosts bradcasts. It sends periodically NetBIOS
announces over the network to simulate Windows computers.
It fools the Computer Browser services running over the LAN and so on.
Note that it is an ACTIVE honeypot.

FakeNetbiosNS is a NetBIOS Name Service daemon, listening on port UDP
137. It responds to NetBIOS Name requests like real Windows computers:
for example 'ping -a', 'nbtstat -A' and 'nbtstat -a', etc.

The source code compiles on Win32 AND on Linux.
Feel free to fix the code (please tell me).

To download the tools: http://honeynet.rstack.org/tools.php

Have fun,

--
Patrick Chambet - http://www.chambet.com