Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: High interaction Windows Honeypot

From: Thorsten Holz <thorsten.holz () mmweg rwth-aachen de>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 18:07:18 +0200

Ahmed Ameen wrote:
Hello All,
I am currently planning for my CS thesis which I decided to do on
Windows Honeypots. I was wondering if anyone has experience on
building a high interaction honeypot using a windows environment and
VMware.

Some experience from me and the German Honeynet Project:

* For the Honeywall, the easiest way to setup is the Honeywall CDROM Roo (http://www.honeynet.org/tools/cdrom/). This is Linux-based, but that should be no big problem. Just boot a computer with three interfaces (two also works, but for management a dedicated interface is best) and within 20 minutes your are done. Customization is very easy and the web-interface allows you to monitor what's going on. If you really need it, you can also install the Honeywall "by Hand", but that's rather time-consuming...

* Unfortunately, no Sebek version 3.x exists for Windows yet. It is in development, but not ready up to now. So you have to use Sebek version 2.x (http://www.honeynet.org/tools/sebek/2/sebek-win32-2.1.5.zip). Just install Windows and you are basically done. If you don't apply some patches, a default installation of Windows will be compromised by a bot in an automated way within several minutes...

* If you want to setup a virtual honeynet, just follow the steps outlined in the paper "Virtual Honeynet: Deploying Honeywall using VMware" (http://www.honeynet.org.pk/honeywall/) written by the Pakistan Honeynet Project.

Cheers,
  Thorsten