Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: forkcmdexe.pl

From: Joachim Schipper <j.schipper () math uu nl>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:49:18 +0200

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 02:59:53PM +0200, David Halsband wrote:

   Hi everyone,
   I am a student who is working for a university-honeypot-project in
   Germany.
   My honeyd itself runs without any problem. All emulated services are
   working, but I have difficulties with the script cmdexe.pl.
   This is a part of my honeyd-configuration file:
   ### Windows computers
   create windows
   set windows personality "Microsoft Windows XP Professional"
   set windows default tcp action reset
   set windows default udp action reset
   set windows default icmp action open
   [...]
   add windows tcp port 4444 "/etc/honeyd/scripts/cmdexe-1.06/cmdexe.pl
   -p winxp -l //etc/honeyd/scripts/cmdexe-1.06/log"
   [...]
   set windows uid 77811 gid 31553
   set windows uptime 1244462
   bind [1]172.16.0.233 windows
   When I am trying to connect to this honeyd host to port 4444, I get
   the following:
   # telnet [2]172.16.0.233 4444
   Trying 172.16.0.233...
   Connected to [3]172.16.0.233.
   Escape character is '^]'.
   Connection closed by foreign host.
   Honeyd displays the following error information:
   cmd_fork: execv(/etc/honeyd/scripts/cmdexe-1.06/cmdexe.pl)
   ..
   Permission denied
   Any idea of what I am doing wrong? Cmdexe.pl has all file access
   permissions.
   Any help would be appreciated.

Dear David,

not that I know anything about the script mentioned, or much at all, but
have you checked the permissions on the perl binary? I'm not sure, but
that would be my guess.

Failing that, check for noexec mounts, kernel patches that require
trusted path execution or somesuch, and so on.

Good luck!

                Joachim