Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: honeywall roo: rc.firewall questions

From: Jocelyn Parker <jocelynp () ti parmapatas net>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 11:23:32 +0200

James,

I think HwRESTRICT (yes/no) is meant to establish whether the honeywall itself is to be restricted on the type of outgoing traffic it can generate itself (nothing to do with traffic going through it, from or to the honeypots). If that assumption is correct (I think the messages you see when you configure the system using the "interview" method in the "menu" confirm this) and HwRESTRICT is enabled, then:

- HwALLOWED_TCP_OUT and HwALLOWED_UDP_OUT list the TCP and UDP ports that the honeypot itself is allowed to open connections to.

  - It is correct that these rules apply to the OUTPUT chain.

What I don't see is why these rules are located inside the "ROACHMOTEL=no" section in rc.firewall. The way I see it, ROACHMOTEL (yes/no) is an all-or-nothing variable to decide whether honeypots can initiate connections to the outside world or not. If ROACHMOTEL=yes then no outgoing connection from the honeypots is allowed. If ROACHMOTEL=no then all outgoing connections from the honeypots are allowed (but rate-limited). I think HwRESTRICT and ROACHMOTEL should be completely independent.

I may be missing something, though, because the programmer explicitly stated that the HwRESTRICT block should be subject to the ROACHMOTEL mode: :-(

(/etc/init.d/rc.firewall, line 522):
# Moved the following block to this location, should be subject to ROACHMOTEL mode

Makes sense?

You may want to log a bug report at https://bugs.honeynet.org and see what the official response is.

Jocelyn.