Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: honeytokens

From: "Aditya Deshmukh" <aditya.deshmukh () online gateway strangled net>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 22:24:08 +0530

1.What are he key challenges involving honeytokens?

Keeping track of the honey tokens and then collecting them at the attack
stage
For example I create a username / password that is setup in a partially
hidden from the outside world and someone captures it.

That username try's to login to the net from someplace - unless I have the
IDS + Central Auth + some other infrastructure I cannot detect this in real
time.

2.Why has it not been implemented on a large basis?

Because of too much attention is to required to be paid for something that
might never show up in the network / other social engg hacks ...

-aditya

Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)