Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Tar pits with honeyd 1.0

From: Niels Provos <provos () citi umich edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 16:32:49 -0500

Tarpit allows data transmission but only very slowly.

Niels.

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 11:03:34AM -0500, Francois Meehan wrote:
Hi all,

What is supposed to be the behaviour of tarpit function?

We created the following:

create sticky
set sticky personality "Microsoft Windows 2000 SP1"
set sticky default tcp action tarpit open
set sticky default udp action block

bind 172.31.1.20 sticky

Now when telnet that machine on port 25 I get:

Connected to 172.31.1.20.
Escape character is '^]'.

I can type characters, it is not frozen per say. I thought
the "data entry" would be stuck and receive 0 windows lenght packet from
honeyd. Is this the right behaviour?

Regards,

Francois

Random Thought:
Using a metaphor in front of men as unimaginative as Ridcully was like a red rag in front of a bu -- was like putting
something very annoyting in front of someone who was annoyed by it.
(Lords and Ladies)