Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Requiring help for implementation testing.; Re: Re: Requiring help for implementation testing.

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 13:47:40 -0500

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 17:07:24 +0100, "Guillaume.Rix" said:

Perhaps already change the default page with all authorizations for
attack it.
It's not all but it's already a first thing, no ?

The ability to change the default page isn't the same thing as having the
authority to let people attack the machine.  There's plenty of machines that I
have the permissions to change the webserver, but I *don't* have the right to
invite people to attack it.

In fact, if I were a black hat, it might be interesting to hack the default
page like that, then have a whole bunch of people attack the box to do the rest
of the work for me.  It's hard enough getting one black hat out of a system,
getting several dozen misguided white hats out is even more fun.. :)