Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: rc.firewall script problems

From: "Jesse Morgan" <jesse () jesterpm net>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 21:04:11 -0800 (PST)

If you do want a typical firewall here's some basic information:
http://lfs.osuosl.org/blfs/view/6.0/postlfs/firewall.html

--
Jesse Morgan
jesse () jesterpm net

Earl Sammons said:

Craig,

I'm guesing you are looking for a firewall setup script for a
"typical" firewall.  That is a Deny all "inbound" unless I
explicitly Allow.

If that is the case, then rc.firewall is not what you want and if
you are using rc.firewall for a "typical" firewall please shut it
down NOW.  rc.firewall (maybe a better name is rc.honeywall?) is
designed to setup a honeywall.

Honeywalls are sort of firewalls in reverse.  They typically allow
just about everything INBOUND and limit what goes out.

There are tons of iptables firewalling howtos out there... google
is your friend :)

Earl

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 15:39:59 -0800 Craig Holmes