Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: problems with honeyd 0.8b and ethernet emulation

From: Laurent OUDOT <oudot () rstack org>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 07:41:52 +0200

hi

it seems that your honeyd is running on a vmware guest.

got an idea : could this bug be related to the fact that vmware won't allow you to use others MAC addresses than the 3 proposed (see the OUI list from IEEE standards) ?

laurent, who saw "00:50:56" in your config

VHP3 a écrit:
I've had the same kind of problems. First, if you could, please post your entire honeyd config file for reference and the output "ifconfig -a". But until then, check that a) the MAC address listed in the config file is idential to the MAC listed on ifconfig and
b) your binding the 'testrouter' to the IP in the config file
c) to pass the IP address as an argument on the CLI (or script if that's how your starting the honeyd daemon)

Regards,
Vince

LECLERCQ Eric RD-MAPS-ISS wrote:

Hi,
I'm having trouble with honeyd and the "set xxx ethernet" command.

# honeyd.conf
create testrouter
set testrouter ethernet "cisco"
bind 192.168.1.4 testrouter

$ ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.28 netmask 255.255.255.0

$ honeyd -d -f h.conf -i eth0
Honeyd V0.8b Copyright (c) 2002-2004 Niels Provos
honeyd: epoll_create: Function not implemented
honeyd[27788]: started with -d -f h.conf -i eth0
honeyd[27788]: listening promiscuously on eth0: (arp or ip proto 47 or (ip )) and not ether src 00:50:56:fe:ec:e8 honeyd.conf:3: Template "testrouter" is configured with ethernet address but there is no interface that can reach 192.168.1.4
honeyd: parsing configuration file failed

But 192.168.1.4 _is_ reachable with my network route.

However with 192.168.1.33 (or any IP beyond that) as the honeypot's address Honeyd works just fine.

Is this a problem with the code (network_compare() or else...) or am I missing something there?