Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: changing mac addresses of clients in vmware

From: "Jaap van Ginkel" <J.A.vanGinkel () uva nl>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 19:05:59 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Niels Provos" <provos () citi umich edu>
To: "Eric" <ericsecnews () comcast net>
Cc: "'Joe Hickory'" <J.Hickory () gmx net>; <honeypots () securityfocus com>
Sent: Sunday, April 25, 2004 4:44 AM
Subject: Re: changing mac addresses of clients in vmware

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 11:41:32AM -0400, Eric wrote:
In Windows 2000/Windows XP I'm sure this works, but I'm not sure about
the
other OS's. Basically what you want to do is Right-Click on the card in
Network Connections and go to the properties. After that, you will see a
'Configure' button at the top of the page. Click on the Advanced tab and
then you will see a property for 'Network Address.' Just put the new MAC
in
the value field without spaces and you should be set.

The latest Honeyd release supports setting the ethernet mac address of
virtual hosts; see

  http://www.honeyd.org/release?version=0.8b

That is:

http://www.honeyd.org/release.php?version=0.8b

for more details.  To get a mac address for a honeypot, you need to
use a new configuration command:

  set template ethernet "00:aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff"

or you can also set it to a vendor like

  set template ethernet "3com"

Niels.