Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Some questions about my first honeypot

From: Andy Streule <andy.streule () lythamhigh lancs sch uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:04:09 +0100

3. As its only been 1 day since ive had it live, activity has been
pretty minimal however should an intruder break in and start using the
box as a base to scan from I could be in big trouble with my ISP, is
there anyway I can limit connections outbound from the honeypot so
thats its not obvious to the intruder something is wrong, but protects
me from unknowingly participating in some DoS attack?

some isps scan internally for open proxies/relays. U should look out for
these scans and then prevent them from reaching the honeypot.

adding yourself to open proxy lists is a good way to attract attention.

being on a dynamic ip  is helpful if you start being overwhelmed by
incomming connections.
My honeypot kfsensor, has the ability to 'lock up' and ignore connections
for a time if it detects too many incoming connections at once.

regards

Andy

This e-mail is confidential and privileged.  If you are not the intended
recipient do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail
or take any action in reliance on its content.