Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Simulating web traffic

From: Lorenzo Hernandez Garcia-Hierro <lorenzohgh () tuxedo-es org>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 15:37:44 +0200

Hi,

El mié, 16-06-2004 a las 11:55, Aitor Facio Valero escribió:
Hi, first of all, this is my very first message in securityfocus, but I've been reading several messages from these
lists for a while. Good job done here, that's for sure.

Now, here goes my question:
I want to simulate  web traffic directed to a web server. This web server is not "really active"(i.e. nobody visits
its web pages , but Apache is running), and I want to provide it with the appearance that several and assorted
requests are made to the web server, that is, I want Apache logs to appear as if it is "really active".
I've been thinking a couple of ways to implement this:
-first of all, manipulate the apache log. I'd prefer this to be my last resort, as it's really unclean, and it could
leave traces that Apache log is forged(so I think)

It's not a good idea, it  will not be "real" enough to simply add
entries to the Apache log.
The best way to do what you wanted,in my opinion, is running a web
spider as a cron job or from the rc of each system user of the rest of
connected machines  ( when the user logs in the spider is executed and
the time will not appear to be a strictly timed job).

Just use one of the spiders available but be sure to modify their
UserAgent headers to be randomly changed into "normal" values.

-second IP spoofing: it remains as very challenging for me, even as I've been looking spoofit.h and several examples
of it's use
-third : now I'm thinking if it could be possible to change IP headers at my firewall so I can change Source IP. I
think this could certainly be made, but can not figure how could it exactly be done.

It will end in your confusion when reviewing the logs...

You could try to do a logging server ( syslogd supports network remote
logging , one machine acts as server and the others connect to it for
log their events as clients ).

Any help would be useful. Thanks
Aitor Facio Valero

Cheers,
--
Lorenzo Hernandez Garcia-Hierro <lorenzohgh () tuxedo-es org>