Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Excluding address ranges in arpd/honeyd

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:49:07 -0400

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:07:26 CDT, Williams Jon <WilliamsJonathan () JohnDeere com>  said:

So, now my IDS starts seeing something odd.  It is getting packets
sourced from 224.0.0.2, an IANA-reserved multicast address that is NEVER
supposed to be the source of any packet, destined to the default router
in my local subnet.  Checking further, it appears that honeyd happily
responded, just as configured, to the HSRP packets being sent to
224.0.0.2 with an ICMP port unreach, source by the multicast address!

Now, the router guys tell me that this is a Bad Thing(TM).

Which is why good router guys bogon-filter this sort of stuff.. ;)

http://www.cymru.com/Bogons/index.html  says that a *source*
address anywhere in 224.0.0.0/3 (yes, 3, not 8) are bogons.

Just do the world a favor, and if you bogon-filter, make sure they're
kept up to date.  The people in the 69/8 range felt a lot of pain, and
things didn't get much better for early adopters of 70/8....