Honeypots mailing list archives

FW: Need suggestions on testing honeypot

From: "John C. Silvia" <john () cadamier com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:45:47 -0700

The Nessus Internet Scanner is one of the best Linux based scanning tools
around - but setting up Linux and Nessus can be a difficult climb for
someone who's not experienced or doesn't have the time.

A new item has come out that may be of help - I've just had some good
experiences with it, and it includes Nessus and a lot more security tools
worth looking at.

It's called Knoppix STD - aka Knoppix Security Tools Distribution.

Knoppix, in case you're not aware, is a complete Linux distribution on a
single CD-ROM.  You boot the CD-ROM and the entire OS runs from it.  No hard
disk space required at all.

Boot the CD, let it do it's thing, then right-click and pick Nessus off the
menu - the enter the scan parameters, target, etc. and go.

Results can be exported onto a floppy disk as well.

All you need to do is download the ISO from http://www.knoppix-std.org/ and
burn it onto a CD-ROM.

Good luck!

- John C. Silvia