Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Honeypot/net IDS System

From: captgoodnight () acsalaska net
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:39:36 -0900

On Sunday 22 February 2004 04:55 pm, Michael Robinton wrote:

http://jackass.tekno.chalmers.se/dp03-17/

I'm puzzled by everyone's interest in "fake honeypot" systems. I've run a
couple of them for several years and there is almost NO traffic even
though I have a bunch of email addy's on web pages for spamscrapers to
find.

Running a tarpit as the front end of our mail system catches bunches of
spammers. Why wouldn't you do that instead? It is much more effective and
eliminates the spam from our incoming MTA as well as killing the net
traffic associated with the spam. Since spam outnumbers real messages by
more than 10 to 1 (at least here), this is beneficial.

Michael

Can't say that myself, I have tons of traffic. Fake apache, fake telnet, fake
ftp and fake ssh. Oh, what I've learned in the past three months from all the
junk; helps me understand what's going on out there in the wild. Some slick
tactics, but most are repeats. About 5-10 smacks a day. Lot's to learn, often
the most unseen things push us forward, day one - hook up the honeypot, day
two, strategies in packet-crafting...packet crafting too... on and on.
Nothing to be puzzled about lad, it's just another tangent in the method.
Fairly simple. Learn on the constant move, while my tarpit brings up the
side, and on and on...It's cool having other machines in the lab for  curious
George tendencies ;) Now go play in your tarpit, there has to be something
there to keep ya busy ;)

Just a penguin flapping his wings,

cg

PS- Can we make a rule, one that states that no person since the first mouse
and dial up 300/1200 BBSs can use the word { addy }. Ugrh, it even hurts my
fingers to type.