Honeypots mailing list archives

Honeypot/net IDS System

From: Daniel Roth <d00roth () dtek chalmers se>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:41:56 +0100

Hi!

I wrote here some months ago about a project I and som friends have been asked to do. It is up and running now, and we would really(!!) like to have som feedback, thoughts and ideas before we start using the system sharp. We're currently in a testphase.

http://jackass.tekno.chalmers.se/dp03-17/

From the What-it-is section:
"...we in the group focused a bit more on how to "invite" the attacker and let him/her into a fake system, a honeypot. Our honeypot is a single computer, faking many computers, with different computers, operating systems and routers. This system is supervised via a GUI where one can click and drag to add computers/routers a visual way. When satisfied a configfile will be written and system up and running. The backend is a combination of an ids system, with an advanced honeypotdeamon, lots of virtual filesystems and a log/abuse-function which can mail the system administrator when
something suspicious happens"

Daniel