Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Is there a formal specification for honeypots/nets?

From: George Bakos <gbakos () ists dartmouth edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:24:35 -0400

There is a current research effort at ISTS that hopes to produce empirical data
pertaining to the effectiveness and appropriateness of selected honeypot/net
employments. We intend on such a specification, as the accuracy and objectivity
of our data will depend on consistent implimentation, although it will be only
for our internal use.

Such a formal specification (ISOC-BCP, perhaps) would be nice, although it
would likely be clear only on those issues pertaining to responsible data
control and perhaps message exchange format. One of the challenges with any
formal spec is that adherance to it tends to make one predictable. Predictable
behavior is precisely what we wish to avoid, lest out honeypots true nature be
easily fingerprinted and thus rendered ineffectual.

Cheers.

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 13:55:56 +0330 (IRT)