Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: honeyd and cable modem

From: "Roshen Chandran" <roshen.chandran () paladion net>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:50:22 +0530

Not sure how exactly dhcp affects this - I've *not* tried Honeyd in a
DHCP environment. Let me try and explain how you would use Honeyd when
you have only one IP available, and that has to be shared between the
host and the virtual honeypot in a *static* IP environment.

1. Assign a private IP to eth0, and set the gateway to be the cable
modem
2. Assign the valid static IP to the honyepot, by binding the IP in the
conf file to the template
3. Run Arpd to spoof responses for the valid IP

Would I just use something like the following:
      bind 62.63.64.x windows

No, you'll have to bind each IP address line by line- afaik, Honeyd does
not support a network range with 'bind'. However, arpd supports a
network range, so you can specify the network range in the arpd command.

However, I recall Niels had recommended in an earlier post that the arpd
range should not be overlapping with the DHCP range. The Honeyd FAQ
states that DHCP stops working on the n/w when arpd responds for all
unused IP addresses.
http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/provos/honeyd/faq.html#no_answer Not certain
how this relates to your setup.

Thanks!