Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: track worm virus on NT/W2K machines

From: Andrew.Patrick () kemperservices com
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 10:27:02 -0500

Any good packet sniffer can do it.  tcpdump, windump, ethereal, etc....

I've had particularly good luck using the "NetworkActiv" program from
www.NetworkActiV.com over the past few days.  You can very easily set up
filters on packet type, size, content, whatever you want....

For Blaster, look for tcp packets exactly 48 bytes in size and directed at
dest port 135
For Welchia/Nachi, look for icmp echo requests exactly 92 bytes in size

You might get a few false positives, but you will know these worms when you
see them.  Every infected host spews 20+ packets per second on a LAN.

Andy Patrick, GCIA, CCNA
Sr. Info. Security Analyst
x3621

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu on