Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: tiered or tuned honeynets

From: George Washington Dunlap III <dunlapg () umich edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 16:14:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 Glenn_Everhart () bankone com wrote:

This concept could perhaps fool attackers, but wherever I've tried to
implement "deep" deception sites, they became difficult to maintain as
believable ones. The old adage "Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when
first we practice to deceive." applies.

I've been thinking about doing some work on an automated system to set up
such sites, so I'm wondering: what about it was difficult to maintain?
Was it the deception part (i.e., somehow keeping the data believable), or
just the normal administration (patches, upgrades, etc.)?

 -George

--