Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Attack/Benign Packet Determination

From: Floydman <floydman () iquebec com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 17:05:51 -0400

Steven, as you'll read from my earlier response to the message you sent me, you seem to fail to see the difference between a honeypot and an IDS. I'll make it shorter here, but a honeypot/net is just a set of regular machines, setup on a network of their own. They are not a security device by themselves.

From the attacker's point of view, honeynets and production networks are just similar targets, they have (normally) no way to determine one from the other. There is no device that "determines" which traffic is meant for the honeypot and the prod network; the attack is made either against the honeypot or the prod network.

If a "legitimate user" have a connection to a honeypot from a production network, then this is definetely a no-no, and the honeypot loses all value because it has been tainted by the "legitimate user"'s actions.

An IDS is just a security device that can be applied on networks, prod or honeynets alike. NIDS mostly are based on signatures and rules, which will always allows for some window of opportunity for evasion techniques. This is why the security game can be seen like a race between blackhats and whitehats.

Honeypots/nets can be deployed in a production network (the "Big Brother" watching would be limited to the honeynets environment), but their most value in this setup is as decoys for the attacker and alarm for the response team, but for this to work the attacker has to attack the honetpot first.

Hope this helps.

Floydman