Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: [inbox] Attack/Benign Packet Determination

From: "Curt Purdy" <purdy () tecman com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 15:43:33 -0500

The concept of a honeynet is to set aside a segment of your network, whether
a class C or .248 subnet that is seperate and unto itself.  Therefore any
traffic originating or destined is an indication of compromise, attack, or
scan.

I like to think of them as the miner's canary.  An early warning system that
quickly sends out alarms that don't have to be analyzed whether the traffic
is good or bad.  We have set aside a .128 segment and when snort goes of
here, we immediately look hard at the traffic.  We can then quite often just
block the source while they are still nawing at our soft underbelly before
they have a chance to touch our hardened assets.

Curt Purdy CISSP, GSEC, MCSE+I, CNE, CCDA
Information Security Engineer
DP Solutions
cpurdy () dpsol com
936.637.7977 ext. 121

If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked.
What's more, you deserve to be hacked.
-- White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke