Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: GenII Honeynet practical use of Snort/Snort_Inline/Swatch

From: "ravenlord" <ravenlord () hotpop com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 11:03:21 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brent J. Nordquist" <brent () nordist net>
To: <honeypots () securityfocus com>
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2003 11:02 AM
Subject: GenII Honeynet practical use of Snort/Snort_Inline/Swatch

    - The GenII paper says "If you are running drop-rules.tgz
    ruleset, you test by simply by first enabling the default test
    rule," -- I am using the distributed drop-rules,tgz, but I
    couldn't find that ruleset.  Can someone point me to it?  (I
    added my own that was basically a wildcard, and confirmed that
    it triggered Snort_Inline.)

I guess you can use the covert script
http://www.honeynet.org/papers/honeynet/tools/convert.sh
to convert all snort rules to drop rules..

Data Capture:  The paper says that Snort is supposed to be used for
data capture (both inbound and outbound).

    - The paper doesn't appear to say anything about how to set up
    rules that achieve this.  I did a telnet in both directions,
    but neither one was logged.  Again, I added a simple "wildcard"
    rule and was able to get Snort to trigger and log the session.
    So it looks like the standard Snort rules (which appear to be
    set up to catch "bad" activity) aren't what you want for
    capturing *all* activity.  What Snort rules do people use?

Snort conf file for capturing all packet
http://www.honeynet.org/papers/honeynet/tools/snort.conf
look for the line that say
*log ip any any <> any any (msg: "Snort Unmatched"; session: printable;)*
and if you look into the
http://www.honeynet.org/papers/honeynet/tools/snort.sh
(snort startup file) snort is invoke using the following command
$SNORT -d -D -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i eth1 -l $DIR/$DATE

where the log file is directed to $DIR/$DATE directory.. which is
by default is (unlesss you change the $DIR variable)
/var/log/honeyd/$DATE

So all the packet capture will be stored in that particular directory..
and Snort will still capture all the packet event if you remove all the
rules
from snort.conf..