Honeypots mailing list archives

Definition a go - Six month trial

From: Lance Spitzner <lance () honeynet org>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 08:58:59 -0500 (CDT)

Okay,

Great job folks on attempting to finalize the defintion
of honeypots!  I think this whole process was great, as
it forced us to really think what a honeypot is, and all
the different things it can do for us.  Based on
feedback, below is the definition that I think best
defines honeypots.

 "A honeypot is an information system resource whose
  value lies in unauthorized or illicit use of that
  resource"

People on this mailling list are not required to use
this defintion, people can and always use the definition
they prefer.  For me however, this is the definition I
will be using.

I would like to give this definition a trial run.  We
are all still very new to honeypot technologies.  Who
knows, perhaps this is not the best definition, or this
defintion limits us.  So, I propose that we close this
thread on the definition of honeypots.  Instead,
we will open up this discussion again six months from
now.  That will give us time to test the definition,
learn from our experiences, and modify the definition
if it does not work.

Once again, great job folks!

lance

PS, All spell checkers, please note this time the
proper spelling of 'whose' :)