Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Honeypot Defintion - Almost There!

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 20:04:59 -0400

On Fri, 23 May 2003 15:45:55 PDT, "Chris Carlson (OTG)" <ccarls () microsoft com>  said:
I like Richard's version but I had to put my own spin on it ;-)

'A honeypot is an information gathering tool that derives it's value
from unauthorized or illicit use.'

Slight logical whoops here - the *TOOL* is being used (hopefully) in an
authorized manner.  The *TOOL* is collecting information on somebody else's
unauthorized use of something.  Compare this to a law enforcement wiretap,
where the value is an authorized collection of information on the bad guy's
discussions of something illegal.....

Unless of course the black hats are using the honeypot itself to gather data
on you.. ;)