Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Attack Paradigm Shift? So focus on the DZ not the DMZ!

From: "Ken Kousky" <kkousky () ip3inc com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 09:44:47 -0400

We should be paying attention to several important points here - first,
exploits used by mass attacks can be replicated and used successfully in
Q=1 (quantity one) attacks without producing a discoverable signature so
there is every reason to believe that exploits will be similar. Second,
many defense devices fail open when flooded or under other forms of
attack. Where internal systems touched and Trojans placed during
Slammer? Finally, good defenses (best practices) should be capable of
warding off both types of attacks.

We try to focus clients on the Defense Zone, not the DMZ. The DZ is
composed of all of the systems that can be touched, in and out of the
perimeter. The DZ defense is much more complex than simply plugging the
internet access with firewalls.

I think we're working in the right direction when we get beyond AV, VPNs
and firewalls... and that will require a paradigm shift in understanding
attacks and the weakness in our current Maginot Walls we call
perimeters.

KWK