Honeypots mailing list archives

Alerting

From: Richard Stevens <mail () richardstevens de>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 23:43:22 +0200

Hi,

right now I'm in the finishing stages of setting up a virtual honeynet based
on UML. This is supposed to be my learning space and also the prototype for
the real thing. I have most things working as I like but I'm a little lost
about how to trigger alerts. Right now the solution I was thinking about is a
filter for syslog-ng on the sniffer machine and the Gen II Gateway which will
filter out the alerts I'd like to get and trigger a script or program to
actually send the mail/sms/pagermessage, depending on the infrastructure
that is accessible for the real implementation. The mails would go out
through seperate NICs to not interfere with the honeynet.

I'm not quite sure wether this is a good idea, though.

What's your experience, how do you or would you achieve secure and reliable
alerting? If there is documentation or a guide on it that I should read, I'm
sorry, to have asked here. I looked for something but without success. If
there is something, I was too blind to actually find it.

Thanks a lot,

Richard