Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: results of the first honeyd challenge (dynamic honeynet?)

From: "Wim Mees" <Wim.Mees () vision rma ac be>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 15:35:12 +0200

Before a dhcp server will hand out a specific IP address, it will first ping
the candidate address to verify whether the address is really free (and the
receiving DHCP client will typically send an ARP request once more to verify
whether the address it received is really really free). Since your arpd is
at that time listening on this address, it will reply on ARP requests and
ICMP echo requests and the dhcp server will never find an address that is
free. It will effectively result in a DoS of your DHCP server.

Wim