Honeypots mailing list archives

Possible Honeypot Setup

From: Theduece51183 () aol com
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 20:54:23 EST

Hello. I am fairly new to the concepts of a Honeypot/net. My possible network
setup is below:

CM -> eth0-ENGARDEBOX-eth1 -> switch -> internal server, switch -> other
machines

First off, is this a good way to setup my network? "ENGARDEBOX" is Engarde
Linux Professional (features can be read here: <A HREF="http://www.engardelinux.org";>
http://www.guardiandigital.com/products/software/professional/features-profess

ional.html</A> ). Where would I be able to put a honeypot box in this setup? Is
any other hardware needed (routers, hubs, etc...)? I also have a copy of the
new Mandrake Multi Network Firewall (features for that can be found here: <A
HREF="http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/mnf/features";>
http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/mnf/features</A> ). I want to try to
implement that into my setup (although Engarde Professional has mostly all
the features the MNF has. Maybe I can use the MNF box as the honeypot? This
connection will most likely be cable. Thank you very much and I look forward
to your response.