funsec mailing list archives

Re: Sorry

From: Dean Webb <zzzptm () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 08:51:37 -0500

Hello all,

Michal's comment made me recall this recent article from The Bulletin
of Atomic Scientists:
http://thebulletin.org/how-next-us-nuclear-accident-could-happen8441

We can become numb to automation, and then it becomes a blind spot for
us. We assume that things will work because they're in production, yet
they may not have had sufficient testing at boundary conditions to see
how they perform under stress.

Consider also the recent story of a driverless car that charged a
group of reporters in Brazil, injuring two. The Volvo in question did
not have the optional package of pedestrian detection. Even with that
package, it would have acknowledged the pedestrians and then charged
them, because it did not have the additional optional package that
would have it brake for pedestrians.

The robotic arm in question must have been in a boundary condition it
hadn't been tested for and while its reaction stuns, shocks, and
horrifies us, we have to keep in mind that, logically, the machine
made all the right moves, given its programming.

Which then goes back to another idea I read at The Bulletin. Namely,
what happens with autonomous, armed military drones in boundary
conditions? How much autonomy do we permit them to have, and when? The
answers to those conditions could mean either a failure to operate in
a combat zone and/or full activation inside a friendly base, and a
catastrophic case of friendly fire, or, as the brass during Vietnam
once said, "accidental misdeliverance of combat ordnance."

Kind regards,

Dean